Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Refreshed Secretary Part 2

The other day I told you about my painted secretary.  Today, I'm just going to show you some of the steps I went through to get it to the version you saw in the original post.

 That's a bad picture of how it looked for YEARS.

I first painted it black, using a homemade chalk paint with a pre-mixed black paint and calcium carbonate powder.

I then half-hazardly slapped on a little red paint.

Then I painted over that using a khaki color, thinking this was how I was going to leave it. 

 And yuck!  It was NOT a good color at all!  Too peachy.  It's a good thing I didn't paint the downstairs bathroom with it like I had originally planned!

So I decided once again to paint it black.  I didn't try for total coverage.  I used alot more of the calcium carbonate this time around, too. 

Below is a sorta accurate pic of how it looks in real life.  :)  I LOVE the mix of blue and blue and gray.  Well, and touches of red and khaki and wood.  ;)

You can see in these pics where I touched it up again - lightly this time since it was one top - with the red paint.  I also distressed it with sandpaper - not my sander.

 Playing with pic monkey in the picture below.  It's fun!! :-D

 I used the original handles and went over them with rub 'n buff and in case you forgot, 

this is what Mickey looks like.  I know, I know, it's just been two days.  :)

 I painted the inside also, but did it very lightly.

This is in my dining room and I store place mats and other table items in the drawers.

And the finished product.  Soooo much better than it was before!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Great job - sometimes you just have to do things more than once but you always know when its right, Looks great.CJ